Monday, January 29, 2007

"Study Questions#1"

I agree with Donald Riche's point of view that there is no permanence in japanese archtecture. How many shops disappear after one year on the shopping street?
How many new buildings are constructed in one paticular area downtown per year?
you dont really notice how they changed if you live in the community, however, i still remember how shocking it was to see my favorite part of my neighborhood had changed after i came back from studing in Europe. It is really sad to see old good shops on the shopping street closed and replaced by american fastfood or cafes.
I mean, it surely happenes everywhere around the world, but still it is significant among Asian countries.
Regarding characteristics of Tokyo, I dont really like the crowds and i definitely think this city, Tokyo is fun and exciting when you are young but i always ask myself if i really wanna stay here for good. the answer is of course no.
In addition, i find some of Japanese subcultures are really painful to show to the rest of the world, such as Otaku, maid cafe and stuff. I am not being mean, however, those weird things are dipicted and i just cant stand listening to people in other countries talk about Japan as a freaky country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home